Wednesday, November 03, 2010

London chronicles - part 1

Hi ya!

This is me in London reporting all the goings-on (at least the uncensored bits). Had this post jotted on my iPod while waiting in the bank but managed to post it only now but most of it is just as relevant so I will post it as a 4 day old post itself...

It's been 3 days since I got to Staines - as a good a time as any to get started on chronicling my adventures here.

First, the weather has been absolutely delightful! It has been hovering around 15 degrees, and although there seems to have been intermittent rain, I have been blissfully oblivious to it indoors. Given my over-exposure to the Bangalore monsoons this year, no complaints on this front (yet!)

[Update from having spent a week here - The weather is every bit as crappy as the Brits warned me it would be - grey skies and the cold is the worst of it - it just envelops you in this numb, chilling, incisive shroud and renders the million layers of clothes that I am wearing absolutely pointless. I could be out stark naked and I am sure to feel just as cold. And apparently this is mild!! I cant even begin to imagine what the "real" winter is going to be like - horrid if the preview is anything to go by.]

The apartment where I am staying is well, odd!! It is run by this nice, albeit scatter-brained couple and has a fair number of oddities. The most startling discovery has been that the shower cubicle is IN the kitchen - yes, in not near or next to, in!! I am yet to see the point of it since I cant really bathe and cook simultaneously nor eat whilst bathing. Although it might work for those leave-in conditioners that need to be washed off after 5 minutes or something - just enough time for a quick bite eh?? The kitchen also has no plug points to operate any other devices so my kettle and toaster are at what seems to be my bedside table in the bedroom. I am rather glad that there are very few things judging by the odd places chosen for all of them.

Work is going ok - people are rather friendly and enquire politely about my general well-being. They have also given me some top class pointers to living here and getting adjusted. All that stuff about the "stiff British upper lip" does exist but in small pockets. And this I must say, even if someone is a tad snarky, they will always politely greet you on your way in or out with a smile. I find it rather unsettling since the same person within the span of 10 minutes will go from snarky man in office to kindly stranger waving you off for the day.

Well, this is a long-ish enough post and I might add a good structure for standard London posts - a quick update on the weather, a fair bit abt the apartment (I am in the process of apartment hunting now so there is lots to say) and of course, a wee bit on work - the reason I am here to begin with..

Right ho!

1 comment:

Daysleeper said...
This comment has been removed by the author.