Thursday, November 04, 2010

London Dreams...

This post is especially dedicated to all the young ones who are stuck with the boring decisions that adults make for them - you may think that when you grow up, you would choose the fun way to do things but the goddamn universe shall conspire against you and allow you to ONLY make the exact, same boring decisions that your parents would - the entire thing is a conspiracy.

I am rather upset - as you can tell by the introduction to this post.
I have been under this illusion that since I am now living alone in a big, bad city like London, I can do as I please and make all my decisions for better or worse by myself and of course, be surrounded by tut-tutting "I-told-you-so" types but I am going to sport selective deafness to those anyways (have a lifetime of experience in that area already :-))

Instead, the first major decision I need to make (where to live) and everyone wants me to live in the boondocks since I work in the boondocks whilst I want to live on MG Road and work in the boondocks. I dont understand this "unimaginable" luxury of living close to work - it is not like I will go home for lunch (who will cook for me) nor have I ever needed an urgent change of clothes and even if I did, the Marks and Spencers outlet near office is closer than any home I have seen so far. All my life, I have studied ad worked outside a minimum 6km radius away from home - which worked out well for me because the sphere of my trouble making skills probably just missed making it home except for the one phone call from the principal's office due to alleged errant behaviour (OK, I was lying, it was 2 calls).

But so far, family, best friends, colleagues have overwhelmingly turned traitor on me and want me to live in the boondocks! Because a. It is cheaper and b. I save on travel time. But I want to live on MG Road so that a. Life as I know it will exist on my doorstep b. Weekends can go by just people watching from my window and c. It is bloody posh to live on MG Road (esp. if I can afford it) - who needs food anyways or 2 kidneys?? Those are luxuries I will gladly fritter away..

In any case, this is just day 2 of the apartment hunt - I am still not settling for the boondocks but trying to find a posh place that will allow me to keep my kidney intact as well. Wish me luck!

PS: I know that I sound every bit like the petulant brat that popular opinion (contrary to my own) makes me out to be but these are trying times and in trying times, everyone acts like a child deprived of their favourite candy..and if they dont, then they aren't really being tried!!

4 comments:

Daysleeper said...

I want you to live on MG Road!! Either you're accusing me wrongfully or I don't count among your best friends *frowns ferociously* Which one is it I say?

Amu said...

@Nami - Overwhelmingly, not all - I first wrote all, remembered you and changed it to overwhelming..of course you count among my best friends..

Swaroop Srinath said...

are u still surrounded by "real gold aa?" types?

Amu said...

@ Swaroop - thankfully not!! Have chosen to live in a locality that would be perceived hostile (or bloody expensive in our speak) for those types..thereby ridding myself of their company for a while longer..hehehe